The project goals were:
• Map the transport network of identified freight corridors that facilitate the efficient and effective movement of freight within and through the region.
• Support the development and implementation of integrated freight transport solutions
• Remove identified road constraints within the region by 2021
• Support the growth and development of logistics solutions that improve freight movement
• Share the outcomes
Councils in the region have different mapping software (MapInfo and Esri). The challenge for REROC was to find a platform that could bring all the data together, that was easy-to-use and enabled free sharing of the maps to support the Regional Freight Transport Plan (June 2014).
REROC identified a set of goals and strategies to assist the region realise its full potential in relation to the provision of freight transport solutions. The project was underpinned by comprehensive on-line mapping of the eastern Riverina’s freight routes, its modal points, constraints and pinch points. The on-line mapping was delivered using GIS Cloud. The mapping includes a comprehensive suite of transport layers for the region. The layers include: Modal Points for Grain, Livestock, Timber and Other; Identified Strategic Routes; Constraints on Network); and existing routes for B Doubles and Road Trains, and Railways (Passenger and Freight, Freight Only, Closed Lines).
With the success of the Transport Map, REROC has investigated how the mapping could further advance other regional programs including development of an Industrial Land layer.
The benefits of using GIS Cloud solution included:
• Ability to brand with REROC logo and name the portal www.reroc.giscloud.com
• Able to switch maps (from transport to industrial, with the ability to add more maps later)
• Google street view is embedded
• Able to search the database to filter to a suitable industrial lot for a developer
• Hyperlinks included linking back to REROC Home Page and the Regional Freight Transport Plan
• Ability for the end user to download our maps in a variety of GIS packages for their own use
The Transport Map has been presented to many different audiences. Most recently the mapping portal was presented at the Annual General Meeting of REROC held at Parliament House in Sydney with invited ministers including Duncan Gay (Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight) Katrina Hodgkinson (Member for Cootamundra), Daryl Maguire (Member for Wagga Wagga), Jillian Skinner (Minister for Health), Greg Aplin (Member for Albury) and Troy Grant (Deputy Premier). The Transport Map was also presented at the National Roads Conference in Victoria, November 2015.
“Spatial Vision and GIS Cloud have been able to provide software and support to help us achieve the ability to get our Regional Mapping Projects into an online mapping environment that can be easily used by the general public” Daniel Smith, November 2015.
For more information on the Regional Freight Transport Plan, please visit http://reroc.com.au/projects/regional-freight-transport-plan.
For more information about GIS Cloud please call us on1300 366 796 or alternatively email here.